Boarding houses and hotels were once a feature Of the North Side, serving the needs of single men who worked at the many livestock
An original structure was a small building behind the current structure, and the tenants had to go outside and down stairs
to use the bath. This original structure was used as living quarters while the current boarding house was built.
City codes changed over the years and it could not be used as rental property. It then became the eating area and the
owner served meals there, until it was torn down.
There are 18 efficiency apartment rentals there now.
A building permit documents that this fourteen room boarding house at 2401 Ellis Avenue, originally the "Myrtle Robbins
Boarding House," was erected in 1935-6 for $5,000.00.
This "cowboy" boarding house was operated by Mrs. Myrtle Robbins, the original owner, who bought the land from
Charlie Evans in 1921.
At this time or thereabouts, she was living and running a boarding house at 124 ½ West Exchange, near the Cadillac Bar.
The Masons owned that property and wanted to tear that boarding house down, in order to use the property for another project.
Mrs. Robbins was allowed to use the old doors and transoms for her new boarding house, and they remain there today.
The structure was designed and constructed by A. C. Bolden.
The building is distinguished by its veneer of polychrome sandstone from Palo Pinto County. The Jerkinhead gable roof
is repeated in the central Jerkinhead gabled portico. A sandstone retaining wall surrounds the property.
In 1939, a multiple garage with apartments above was erected to the rear of the boarding house; clad in identical sandstone
veneer. It was constructed by the same builder.
The buildings were owned by Mrs. Robbins until 1980, and were operated as rooming houses through the early 1990's.
The boarding house was "boarded up" literally, until October 2001, when the property was purchased by J. B.
Hicks and restored into the current Bed and Breakfast.
Information Acquired From:
Historic Fort Worth and JB Hicks
The third floor will boast a new theater/t.v. conference room